I’ve always had a deeply personal relationship with my skin. As a cystic-acne sufferer during my teenage years, I was lost: I tried everything to fix the problem at hand. I tried every chemical, every shiny product that promised results, and every DIY project that said it would deliver miracles. As you can guess? All this did was make the problem worse. Fast forward into adulthood, and acne can still make an appearance. Every month, large blemishes, which I lovingly call monthly monsters, still arise. And if I over-indulge in junk food? (Oh especially cheese) I will definitely see the results in my skin.
What I find so disappointing is the naive promise I held onto as a teenager: “Once I’m an adult, this cystic acne will go away!” Enter: adult acne. Adult acne is not uncommon and affects more people than you might think. Adult acne differs from teenage acne mainly in location and the types of blemishes. While in teens it’s usually on the forehead and cheeks, in adults, it’s usually on the jawline and neck. For adults, you see big blemishes or large angry bumps. With teens, you see more of a mix of cystic bumps, blackheads, and whiteheads over the entire face. What could potentially be the cause of your adult acne?
Good Ol' Stress
- We all have it. It’s hard to manage. Yet unfortunately, it’s one of the leading causes of adult acne. Stress can lead to increased cortisol levels, which increases oiliness as well as inflammation. Both can foster and promote acne. Take time to find ways to release some stress and implement self-care.
What we eat
- Diet. While there’s no conclusive proof that any food in particular causes acne, your skin might be triggered by something specific. For instance, the hormones in dairy might lead to breakouts for certain people. At the end of the day, simply be aware that dietary choices can make a difference in the severity of your acne.
Time of the month
- During our adult years, especially right before one’s menstrual cycle, there is a large fluctuation in hormones. An increase in the production of progesterone can trigger acne because it increases the skin’s production of sebum. Hormones play a large role in deep, cystic acne.
Our beauty routine!
- Using the wrong products for your skin. Keeping your skin’s natural balance (the natural balance of oils) is key to regulating oil production and keeping acne at bay. When using harsh products, such as foaming, chemical-filled cleansers, this can strip the skin and exacerbate acne. Utilizing natural skin care products can nourish the skin and help to rebalance.
Keepin' it in the Fam
- Genetics. Believe it or not, your genes can play a role in your adult acne. If there is a family history of adult acne, you could be predisposed to having it as well. There could be an increased risk of enlarged pores, increased sebum, or cystic acne.
What now? You’ve learned some of the potential causes of adult acne and want to make a change and help to better your skin. Below is my top favourite, all-natural, DIY treatments you can do at home to help treat and relieve your adult acne.
- Honey + turmeric + Yoghurt mask. Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric into 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of yoghurt. Apply to wet skin and leave on for 5 minutes. The turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, and the honey has antimicrobial properties. The yogurt is soothing and naturally exfoliating. This will calm down cystic acne and help reduce the size and appearance of blemishes.
While there is no definitive cure for adult acne, Herbs & Heart believes in the power of natural skincare to help relieve adult acne in the safest and purest ways possible.
Try the Face Mud to be used as a spot treatment for blemishes and cysts. An earthy blend, it works to remove embedded dirt, whilst potent bio-actives deliver deep nourishment and hydration. It is blended with the three elements of Manuka Honey, Orange Peel & Sandalwood. For added nourishment, we have combined the hydrating properties of Coconut, Aloe Vera & Apricot.
To accelerate healing of blemishes, we recommend Herbs + Heart’s Skin Tonic for its Thyme extract, a powerful antibacterial. (Proven to be even better at killing acne bacteria over Benzyl Peroxide!) The Skin Tonic works to clarify and replenish, restoring the skin’s natural pH without over-drying the blemish.